So…as promised, here is the recipe for the scones. This recipe works with or without raisins.
1. Heat the oven to 220 degrees celcius.
2. Lightly grease the baking sheet.
3. Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
4. Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough.
5. Turn onto a a floured work surface and knead very lightly.
6. Pat out to a round 2cm thick. Use a 5cm cutter to stamp out rounds and place on the lightly greased baking sheet.
7. Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg.
8. Bake for 12 to 15 mins or until well risen and golden.
9. Cool on a wire rack and serve with butter and a good jam.
(For the fruit scones, I added a handful of raisins while the ingredients are still dry.)