It has been a cloudy, cool Sunday today and what better way to spend it by baking something simple to have with a cup of tea. I was browsing online and found this lovely Date Loaf recipe and decided to try it out.
• 180g dates, pitted and chopped
• 120g brown sugar
• 55g butter
• 250ml boiling water
• 220g self raising flour
• 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 2 tsp vanilla essence
(the original recipe used 200g of soft brown sugar but I thought it would be way too sweet for my liking so I reduced the quantity and it came out sweet enough)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Grease and flour a loaf tin.
2. In a large bowl, combine the chopped dates, brown sugar, butter and boiling water. Leave to stand for 15 minutes or until cool.
3. Into the liquid mixture, stir in the sifted flour and bicarbonate of soda. Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Keep checking to make sure it does not overcook.
Allow to cool before slicing…
The loaf turned out lovely and moist and it would have been perfect with a drizzle of butter scotch sauce but that would just be naughty! 😊
I don’t know about you but I just love dates and always have them in the pantry to snack on. It also reminded me of the time when we were in Dubai in 2011 and found THIS…
Hope you are all having a relaxing long weekend! 😊