Nasi Goreng means fried rice in Malay and you can put almost anything you want in it, be it seafood or poultry and any veg of your choice. It’s also a very easy dish to make, you just basically throw everything in the wok and fry away! Here is my take on a very simple Nasi Goreng…
• 1 chicken breast (thinly sliced)
• 1 red onion (sliced)
• 1 sweet red pepper (sliced length wise)
• 1 small tin of sweet peas
• 1 carrot (sliced)
• 3 cloves garlic (minced)
• 2 chunky slices of ginger
• chilli paste or fresh chilli (quantity according to your own taste)
• fish sauce
• sesame oil
• sunflower oil
• cooled boiled rice
• Spring onions for garnish
1. In a heated wok add a tablespoon each of the oils.
2. Add the onions and sauté for 2 to 3 mins before adding the sliced chicken.
3. Once chicken is cooked, add the garlic, chilli and ginger. Fry this for another 2 mins.
4. Add the cooled boiled rice, fish sauce, vegetables, sweet peas and fry until the rice is coated with the mixture. (I say cooled boiled rice because if fried when hot, the rice will clump together).
5. Sprinkle with the chopped spring onions and it’s ready to serve.
Have a great Tuesday! 😊