I decided to stay in all day yesterday to give my legs a rest after all the walking we did on Sunday. Plus with all the glorious sunshine, I was quite sleepy in the afternoon…but then, a hankering for cake struck me! Needless to say, napping was out of the question!
I had not had cake since we went out to dinner a couple of weeks ago at Gino’s Italian Restaurant. I had the best chocolate and pistachio cake drizzled with mascarpone cream cheese…so I decided to try and re-create it, but using walnuts instead as I didn’t have any pistachios to hand.
🍰 125g butter
🍰 200g brown sugar
🍰 175g self raising flour
🍰 2 eggs
🍰 100ml evaporated milk
🍰 100ml heavy cream
🍰 80g dark cocoa powder
🍰 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
🍰 half tsp baking powder
🍰 Walnuts (as much as you desire!)
1. Pre heat oven to 150 degrees.
2. Cream the butter & sugar together.
3. Add the eggs and whisk till thoroughly combined.
4. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, bicarb soda & baking powder into the wet mixture, fold while adding the evaporated milk & heavy cream slowly.
5. Once combined, stir in the walnuts.
6. Line and grease a round tin, pour the mixture in and even it out. Bake in the oven for 45 mins or until cooked. If you want it chewy and sticky in the centre, reduce the cooking time.
7. Leave to cool for 30 mins on a cooling rack.
Once cooled, dust with icing sugar…
My hankering was satisfied! Whoever said “You can’t have your cake and eat it too” was clearly wrong!😊
Care for some? 💞