I was on Skype with my mum just the other day and she mentioned that her good friend from East Africa had made her these yummy sweet fried bread. My mum said “You HAVE to try making them Tan, I can’t stop eating them!” (Tan = Tanty, my nickname ever since I was a kid)☺️
So anyway, I gave them a go and my mum was right…they were so addictive!
• 3 cups self raising flour
• 1/4 cup sugar (although I reduced this to less than that)
• 2 tbsp oil
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 cup luke warm coconut milk (you can also use normal milk)
• 1 egg (beaten)
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
• Oil for frying
• Dusting/Icing sugar
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and knead lightly. If you feel it needs more flour, add more until the dough is not sticky and leave to rest for 30 mins.
2. Roll on a lightly floured surface.
Dust with a little icing sugar and serve hot!
They were crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside with just that hint of cinnamon!😋
It was so good that we even had them with vanilla ice cream! They are very similar to Beignets.
I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as I did!💞