So I was down with gastroenteritis last week due to a virus going around within the community here and after a trip to the doctors, all I wanted was one of my grandma’s simple tofu soup.
• 4 to 5 shallots thinly sliced
• 3 cloves of garlic
• 1 potato (diced)
• 1 carrot (diced)
• 2 stalks of celery thinly sliced
• Salt & pepper to taste
• Tofu (cut into chunky squares)
• 1 litre of water
• a little oil & a little sesame seed oil
• 1 tbs of fresh chopped cilantro (leave some for garnishing)
1. In a pot, heat about a teaspoon of oil & a teaspoon of sesame seed oil and sauté the shallots and garlic. Once golden, add the celery and sauté for another minute.
2. Pour in the litre of water and let it simmer/boil for about 15-20 mins before adding the potatoes & carrots.
3. Once the vegetables are cooked, gently add the tofu into the soup and simmer till they start floating up. Season well.
Garnish with the rest of the chopped cilantro, crispy shallots and serve hot…