A simple tasty Italian dish with a side of very easy garlic bread!
for the sauce…
– half a large onion (peeled and diced)
– 3 cloves of garlic (diced)
– 6 mushrooms (chopped)
– 1 Italian sweet red pepper (or Capsicum diced)
– 1 tin of peeled plum tomatoes
– extra virgin olive oil
for the meatballs…
– 250gms steak mince (marinade this overnight in 2tbs extra virgin olive oil, mixed Italian herbs, a slice of bread that has been soaked in milk, dried parsley & garlic mix, course ground black pepper and salt)
– Buffalo mozzarella (cut into small squares)
1. Prep the meatballs by rolling them into small or medium sized balls in your palm.
2. Flatten them slightly and place a piece of the mozzarella squares in the middle of the meatball then gently roll back into shape. Continue doing this with the rest of the mince and place them on a tray in a 180 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes. (don’t worry if the mozzarella oozes out during baking)
3. While the meatballs are in the oven, heat up a saucepan and add 3tbs of extra virgin olive oil.
4. Once the oil is hot, add the diced onions, garlic and the Italian sweet pepper. Sweat these 3 ingredients till they are soft and add half a teaspoon of the Mixed Italian Herbs or Oregano.
5. Add the chopped mushrooms and let them sweat until they soften.
6. Now add the tin of the peeled plum tomatoes and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and half a teaspoon of sugar.
7. By this time the meatballs will be ready. Take each meatball and place gently in the simmering sauce.
8. Simmer this gently for 10 minutes and make sure the meatballs are covered in the sauce.
Easy garlic bread
1. While the oven is hot, cut the ciabatta bread or baguette into chunky pieces, butter them and sprinkle with the parsley & garlic mix along with salt and pepper to taste. Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
Buon appetito! 🇮🇹