I definitely cooked with great abandon last night as the menu kept changing in my head! I had said to my husband that I was going to make a Chicken Tagine but quarter of the way through cooking, I changed my mind and it sort of became something COMPLETELY different…so yes, I think I’ll call it a Biryani!
• Chicken breast pieces
• Basmati rice or long grain rice
• Red onion (diced)
• Garlic (diced)
• Carrot (grated)
• Cashew nuts
• Dried parsley
• Za’atar spice
• Fresh cilantro
• Olive oil & butter
1. Boil the rice and once cooked, leave to cool completely.
2. Marinade the chicken breast pieces in dried parsley, cumin, paprika, za’atar spice, salt & cracked black pepper in a little olive oil for 30 mins or 1 hour.
3. On a medium high heat, heat up a big saucepan and add olive oil & some butter. Place the chicken breast pieces and brown them till thoroughly cooked.
4. Throw in the onions & garlic, dried parsley, za’atar spice, salt & pepper and sauté together with the chicken. Once the onions are soft, add the raisins, cashew nuts, chickpeas and grated carrots.
Garnish with cilantro and more cashew nuts if you wish and serve…
I made a simple side salad of chopped green apples, baby plum tomatoes, diced red onion, chopped cilantro and drizzled it with a little honey, lemon juice, olive oil, salt & cracked black pepper…
Despite how many times I changed my mind, the “I think I’ll call it a Biryani” was a success and was really enjoyed by us both at iftar!😊
Have a fabulous Monday!💞