I finally went food shopping yesterday and also got rid of the dreaded flu!! I wanted something to wake my tastebuds up so I made this spicy dish full of flavour, colour and textures!
– 1 onion (thinly sliced)
– 5 cloves of garlic
– 2 chunky slices of ginger
– 1 small packet of fishballs (sliced)
– Ready fried tofu (thinly sliced)
– 1 Carrot (cut into long thin slices)
– half a sweet red Italian pepper (cut into long thin slices)
– Sugar snap peas
– Cilantro (chopped)
– Fish sauce
– Sriracha sauce
– Sunflower oil or vegetable oil
– Sesame oil
– Roasted peanuts (coarsely chopped)
– Glass noodles or bean thread noodles (quantity…up to you)
– course ground black pepper
2. Boil water in a saucepan and drop the noodles, leave to boil for 6 to 8 minutes or until glassy. Once cooked, drain and put to the side.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil and 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a wok.
4. Throw in the sliced onions, sweat for 5 mins and add the minced garlic & ginger. Fry this for 3 minutes.
5. Add the tofu and fishballs to the mixture and continue frying this for 5 minutes.
6. Add in a few dashes of the fish sauce and the Sriracha hot sauce according to taste and continue to stir.
7. Lower the heat and throw in the noodles and be sure they are evenly covered with the mixture. Add some water to keep the noodles moist.
8. Take the wok off the heat and add the vegetables, cilantro and roasted peanuts. You want the vegetables to still be raw and crunchy when served so you get the feel of the different textures in the dish.
Note: I did not use any salt in this dish as the fish sauce is another substitute for salt in my Asian dishes.