Summer is nearly over and I am looking forward to the cooler autumn weather…. when it comes of course as it’s still fairly warm here at the moment with temperatures up to 29 degrees celcius.
But, despite the hot temperatures, a couple of weeks ago, I really fancied a warm soupy noodle dish! So I decided to make this hearty dish filled with textures and flavours! This is my take on Beef Udon…
• Prime fillet steak (sliced thin)
• Dried Shiitake mushrooms (soaked & sliced)
• Shallots (sliced thin)
• Few cloves of garlic, ginger & cracked black pepper (minced)
• Carrots (julienned)
• Chinese cabbage (sliced)
• Cilantro (chopped)
• Chilli (sliced)
• Dark & light soy sauce
• Sesame oil
• Udon noodles (cooked in boiling water)
1. In a pot, heat a little sesame oil and sauté the beef for 2 to 3 mins.
2. Add the shallots & minced garlic with ginger. Stir fry this for another 2 mins or until the shallots are golden before throwing in the carrots and the Shiitake mushrooms.
3. Add some water and the light soy sauce and a couple teaspoons of the dark soy sauce to the pot and let this simmer till the beef is tender. (Make sure you taste it as I didn’t use any salt in this recipe.)
4. Set aside the Chinese cabbage, chopped cilantro and chilli on a dish.
5. In a bowl, place the cooked Udon noodles, add the raw Chinese cabbage and ladle the hot soup into the bowl. (You can always pre cook your Chinese cabbage but I personally prefer them crunchy.)
Garnish with cilantro and some sliced chilli if you want a wee kick…serve hot…
Hearty, filling and so simple!
Happy cooking and have a fabulous start to September!💕